Tuesday, July 15, 2014

One Soul, Two Soul, Red Soul, Blue Soul

It's not often in life that you meet someone you feel is part of your soul. someone you feel God placed in your life for a beautiful and perfect reason. sometimes you just look at them and think,  what in the world did i do to deserve such an amazing friend as this? someone who i value in my life not because i couldnt live without them, but because my life is infinitely better and intricate and beautiful with them in it. This person makes my life bright. they make my life romantic in the most holy and pure way. not in the lovey dovey sense of romance but in a story book fairytale kind of way. like life wouldnt be half as hopeful. it wouldnt be half as joyful. it wouldnt be half as resplendently simple, without them there.

her name is Brigitta Davis. She is my best friend in the entire world and i am lucky to call her that. and let me tell you, she is so perfectly a, "Brigitta" being named after the character from the Sound of Music. she is one of the few people in my life that i have noticed whose life is musical. she lives in such a free and flowing way--each step is planned and thought out. and all of it rhymes and makes you feel fuzzy inside. you look at Brigitta and you think, geez, i want to live life like that. careless, but not lazy; sweet, but not naiive; grounded, but not restricted. She lives life in the freedom that the Lord has taught her. He shines so brightly from her that you cant help but want to hug her all the time--to somehow get closer to the Lord inside of her. I think we all have that goal...and its amazing that she has the gift. and let me tell you, when she talks? you never know what you're going to get. some days she's blunt and witty. some days shes clever. some days shes giddy because she loves her boyfriend that is unbelievably perfect for her. some days shes pessimistic--but somehow, even in her pessimism, she never loses sight of the promises the Lord holds for her. and sometimes, she says things that blow me away. she says such profound and philosophical statements that kind of stop you in your tracks and give you an entirely new perspective on life. when you leave Brigitta after hanging out with her for a while, you feel like you've learned something. Something important has been added to your life because you took time to listen to her and watch her. she teaches me so much and she doesnt even know it. she's one of my greatest role models.

i think we get along because we're both kind of crazy. not in the bats/nutso kind of crazy (most of the time) but the crazy that kind of makes people cock their head to the side to understand why we do the things we do. we do things like go to shakespeare in the park with brie and cheese. we never drink tea without china and saucers. we never eat dinner without going on a walk afterwards. we are coffee connoisseurs. we go to museums. we go to church. we go to chocolate bars. we make breakfast. we make dinner. we listen to musicals on vinyl. we watch Downton Abbey. she sends me articles on politics and religion and more musicals and i read them after two weeks of them sitting in my facebook inbox. she is the best friend you see only in story books.

she believes in me like no one ever has. she chases me down when i've been gone for a while because she knows my soul needs her. shes loyal. shes trustworthy. and she always tells me the truth because she knows no one else will. and because she loves me. she loves me so much that she dares to disagree with me. she calls my bluffs and breaks down my walls. but she's never cruel or firm. i know sometimes she gets annoyed with me,or i with her, but she still loves me. and i love her. and that's good enough for us.

i urge you, few, readers: find someone that makes you feel this way. someone that makes you feel invincible. that's what best friends should be. they should be someone you enjoy, someone you delight in, but also someone you just like to have around because you enjoy their presence. or maybe you already have someone that makes you feel this way. so thank them for that--thank them for being the amazing person they are, and tell them how lucky you feel for having met them. also, know that God places people in your life for a specific reason. i urge you to find out what that reason is, and pursue it. find out what God has for you in His family of breathtaking people. He has refuge for you there, in friends like Brigitta, just as much as He has refuge for you in His arms. God plants seeds in your life, like your friends, that can grow into branches that will lead you to the tree, that will lead you to the root of life: God. look for the people He has placed in your life to lead you closer to Him. They will make you feel the joy that He wants for you. I promise.

Be blessed, as I have been blessed by my darling Brigitta.

She is so precious to me, and one of the most unique and inspiring people this world has to give.



love is what makes your soul feel one soul bigger than your own.

1 comment:

  1. AAAHHHHH I LOVE YOU TOO! You understand me like no one else does, and articulate it so beautifully. I'm going to print this out and frame it so I can keep it and remember it forever and ever!

    ReplyDelete