Monday, November 14, 2016

Of Heart and Home

A year and two months ago, I received a call from my friend and previous mentor Paul. He asked if I would come on as an intern at his performing arts company. At that point I was not in a place to accept the position because I had a "better gig" in Springfield. As the summer went on I experienced a number of trials that almost lost me my life. At the end of the summer I decided to move back home to St. Louis and attend Missouri Baptist. As soon as Paul heard, I assume, he shot me a text asking if I would stage manage their fall production of Annie Warbucks. I had completely forgot about our conversation a few months prior, but was flattered at his contacting me again. However, at that point I was happy to be home, and would give anything for a job. The funny thing was that at that point I had tried, once again, to let go of the theatre and move on with my life. Something about that did not sit right with the Big Guy, apparently. I accepted the job as stage manager, but had little knowledge that the gift I was accepting would prove to be far more than highlighters and sound cues.

When I first arrived at GCPA in September, I did my best to stay out of the way and soak up the environment. It was quite nostalgic--here I am watching children in the exact same place I was thirteen years ago, having the same realizations and blissful experiences that come with one's first few years in the theatre. Once the nostalgia wore off and the work set in, I poured myself into it. I loved being a part of the directing team and feeling like I could be needed somewhere. As I got to know the team (Paul, Lori, Stephanie, and Ashleigh) and the cast (which happened to be 15 or so of the sweetest young ladies I have ever met) I realized very quickly that this could be a place I could call home. I was reminded of the selflessness that goes into theatre--that which I had forgotten. I was reminded of how many willing spirits and positive attitudes it takes to make a show come together. I remembered the nervous excitement that comes into young hearts when they get ready to put on a production they have worked for months to prepare. I remembered how good it feels to have such hard and passionate work pay off. It wasn't long before I was hooked.

Gateway Center for Performing Arts is proof that it is possible for America change its seemingly infinite faults. It is proof that it is possible for people from many different economic, political, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds to work as a team to bringing stories to the world--stories that contribute more than just flashy lights and sparkly clothes to society. GCPA proves that children--yes children--are willing and capable of grasping complex emotional and physical concepts in order to tell those stories. It proves that theatre is a beautifully necessary part of society, and one that can help heal our world.

Passion is at the heart of GCPA. I encourage you to ask any one of the team members or teaching artists about their lives. I guarantee that what you will hear are stories of each of their families, maybe a bit about their full time job, but then you will hear about all they do for GCPA and why. You will see how much they do and how committed they are to what they want to accomplish through their company. You will hear about how much they love the kids that participate in their shows and how much they believe in them. You will experience some of the most insightful, driven, selfless, compassionate, patient, strong-willed, professional, and inspiring people you will ever meet.

Gateway Center for Performing Arts is committed to cultivating artists that are individual, honest, professional, and skilled performers. The reason they keep their classes and shows limited to high school students and under is because they believe children should be given the same opportunities and training that so many adults and college students get from academies, colleges, and local theatre companies. They intentionally involve students elementary and up so that, from a young age, students can learn what exquisite, truthful storytelling is and why we do it. One of the most unique traits of GCPA is how they treat their child actors: They hold them to a performance and behavioral standard of adult performers as much as possible so that they understand what will be expected of them in professional theatre. The directors and teaching artists help their actors to understand intricate story lines, realistic goals, truths (harsh as well as gentle and beautiful), high stakes, timeless values that will set them apart as individuals, and so much more. They set the bar high because they know their actors are capable of it--regardless of age. What better place for a child to grow? Its an environment that is safe and filled with grace, but doesn't treat children as if they are limited by their size, shape, age, or maturity. When children see their authority figures--people they admire and respect--put so much faith and trust in them to put on such high quality productions, they begin to feel a way about themselves that very few children do: like they are valued and important, regardless of what stage they're in. In this mind, children can continue to feel limitless and unrestrained in their creativity. Furthermore, they have a desire to pursue the possibilities.

GCPA has quickly become one of my heart's dearest passions. My desire to be a part of its history and do anything I can to help it succeed is great--greater than what I've felt towards any ministry in a long time. As far as I know, my dreams have come true.


Love is family.

Love is finding your heart in the home it was always looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment