Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, OH MY!

(playist: track 7)

ive been getting into jazz/swing music lately. its the romance i like. Jazzy fourties songs like, "ill be seeing you" and "the way you look tonight" just make me think a little bit, and dream even more. they layer and layer their lyrics with sweet lines to their lovers. why dont people do that today? i have no idea. i feel like most music now just talks about sex and womens' bodies. its degrading really...so i suppose i find alot of comfort in Billie Holiday's "ill be seeing you" because its not focused on one thing. the possibilites are endless, because of the different ways she says the things she wants to say. another thing i like about this music is that these people have so much to say. they have so much to tell their lovers, to tell the world, and all they do is delight in it. its never nasty, its never inappropriately visual, its just poetic genius. these songs give me something to think about. they give me hope that the things they talk about really exist. people really do love eachother to the end of their days, and the end of the earth. i think about some of the people in my life, and wish they'd love me like that. im actually one of those weird people who tags songs to people in my life... some of the songs ive tagged to people recently are driving me crazy. but they put me in this daze thats addicting. i just get dizzy, walking around school with my headphones in, thinking, dreaming, getting lost in the sax and piano solos... the smooth vocals sing me to sleep when my insomnia gets the best of me. if pure romance could be poured into music, this is where you'll find it.

Love is jazzy, and snazzy, and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment